T1W2 – 8 Sept 2023
It has been wonderful welcoming our young learners back to SSIS Preschool (Early Years)! With the first full week of school completed, students are settling well into new routines and enjoying the interactions and environment. A heartfelt thank you to all the mothers, fathers, grandparents and caregivers who have been helping our little Sabres during arrivals and dismissals!
Helping young children confidently and comfortably transition to school life is vital to support their journey of lifelong learning. Here are some tips to help you and your family make a smooth transition:
- Talk about SSIS! Build the excitement of going to school by talking about the school, the teachers and the fun awaiting them.
- Role play! Do some dramatization and add in stuffed animals and puppets to act out how we, or Mr. Elephant, may feel and what is the best way to cope.
- Acknowledge their feelings. Let your child talk about their fear, let them know the worry is normal and it’s okay to feel different ways. Reassure them it will be okay and they will have fun and return home in the afternoon.
- Share your experiences. Older siblings or parents can share their own experiences and how they ended up loving school. Knowing you also went through the same thing will comfort their fears.
- Get to know the teachers. The homeroom teachers are your partners! Share concerns, goals and updates from home with them. We strongly believe closer home-school relationships mold happier children.
Last but not least, I would like to share some glimpses of the fun and learning happening around Preschool this week!
Dr. Sonia Barghani
Preschool (Early Years) Principal