T1W10 – 10 Nov 2023
Dear Parents and SSIS Community,
The Aesthetics department is in full gear as we approach the end of Term 1. We have had some great moments so far this year in our lessons, and we look forward to seeing and hearing much more from our talented students in the upcoming events:
- This coming weekend on Saturday, November 11th, we will hold our annual International Family Bazaar, and will feature performances from our Grade K1-G6 music students as well as our String Quartet, Show Band, solo performances by select students, and One Act plays given by our senior drama students
- Our IB art exhibition will run in the multi-purpose room from November 27th – December 8th, and will feature live music performances from December 4th – 8th from 1:00-1:30pm
- Our Tree Lighting ceremony will be held on Friday, November 24th, at 4:30pm in the main foyer at school, and will feature performances by our String Quartet and Combined Choir
- Our Combined Choir and String Quartet will perform at the Jing’an Courtyard Marriott on Tuesday, November 28th, at 5:30pm. All parents are welcome; details will be provided soon.
- Our Winter Concert, the main performance event of the term for our ASP Ensembles (K2-G3 Choir, Combined Choir, Show Band, and Combined Orchestra) will be held at school on December 14th at 6:30pm. All parents and members of the SSIS community are welcome.
There are some fantastic things happening in the Drama department. In the words of Ms. Tria, our Senior School Drama specialist:
One Act Festival 2023:
Our upcoming One Act Play Festival will feature four different performances including scenes from “Almost Maine” performed by Grade 10 Drama students, and a captivating snippet from the balcony scene (ASP Drama’s rendition of Romeo and Juliet) performed by our very own Tanisha as Juliet and Egor as Romeo.
This festival offers a unique experience for our students to demonstrate their performance skills they have been honing for quite sometime.
- Event detail: 23-24 November 2023
- Lunch time: 1-1.30 pm
Mark these dates on your calendar and we look forward to seeing you all at the One Act Festival.
Grade 9 Drama GCSE
Students are embarking on a journey into the world of monologues. This adventure begins with a solid foundation, starting with the understanding of various techniques used to convey the meaning.
This journey involves becoming script detectives where they carefully analyze scripts to uncover hidden layers of subtext, through the lens of Stanislavski’s acting techniques.
We look forward to witnessing their end of artistic journey on stage.
Multi-school Orchestra Festival
On October 27th, some of our Grade 6 strings students took part in a multi-school orchestra festival at Shanghai American School organized by three second year IB Music students. This was a fantastic experience for our young musicians, who gained valuable experience by being part of a large group which spent the day rehearsing challenging music, and then performed that evening.
In the words of Grade 6 student Caiden Li:
“It was a fun day. The most challenging part was to concentrate for such a long time. I met lots of new people, and enjoyed the day of rehearsal and then playing the concert that evening”
Below are some photos from the event:
Wishing you a wonderful week, and I look forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming events!
Mr Michael Hicks
Director of Aesthetics