T1W12 – 24 Nov 2023
The first term has been a whirlwind of enthusiasm, growth and discovery. As the students settled into their routines the classrooms transformed into vibrant spaces of learning and collaboration. Our dedicated teachers have worked tirelessly to create engaging lessons and foster a positive learning environment, nurturing the academic and social development of each student. As we reflect on the first term, we should celebrate the accomplishments, big and small, that have paved the way for a foundation of knowledge and sense of community.
Celebrating Success & Improvements 庆祝成功和进步
Class certificates have been introduced this year and during assemblies we celebrate the success and achievements of our students through these certificates. Class certificates serve as tangible reminders of the students’ commitment to academic excellence and personal growth. 今年推出了班级奖状。在晨会上，我们颁发奖状来庆祝学生的成功和成就。该奖状表彰学生的学业成绩和个人成长。
“Sabre’s Adventure” is once again in full swing, and students are being rewarded for showing the SSIS Learner Attribute for the week. Every Friday morning, all grade levels meet in the gym where the winners are presented with the Sabre.
The revamped Grade level assemblies offer a valuable platform for recognising and celebrating students’ achievement, fostering a sense of accomplishments and motivation. These assemblies also develop a sense of community, encourage positive peer relationships and provide a platform for students to share what they have been learning.
An enhanced Health Curriculum has been implemented this year and the benefits extend far beyond the classroom. A well-rounded health curriculum not only equips students with the essential knowledge about physical well-being, nutrition, and hygiene but also instills lifelong habits for a healthy lifestyle. Through interactive lessons, students learn to make informed choices regarding their physical and mental health, contributing to their overall well-being.
Combined G4-12 Choir and Orchestra, K2-G3 Choir will run for the full school year (through 3 ASP seasons)
Upcoming showcases and opportunities will include:
- SSIS Tree-lighting Ceremony, Winter Concert, Winter Show (Primary assembly)
- Primary Musical production “Bamboozled”
We are looking forward to this year’s production where all primary students will be involved. The production is not just about showcasing the talents and skills of our students; it is a celebration of unity, collaboration, and the incredible journey our students undertake together.
Chinese & Chinese Culture 中文及中国文化
NEW ASPs and CCAs
- G3-G11 ASP Chinese Debate Team
- K1-G2 Chinese Cultural Immersion ASP
- G1-G12 Chinese Support ASP
- (ASP) G3-G11中文辩论队的同学们经过学习和训练，思辨能力和口语表达能力一定能得到提高，他们也将有机会代表学校参加校外中文辩论比赛。
- 开设 (ASP) K1-G2中国文化浸润学习，帮助学生体验更多的中国文化内容。
- (ASP) G1-G12中文支持班的开设，帮助更多同学建立学习自信心和提升中文技能的机会。
- The publication of the G1-G6 Chinese Culture textbooks, collaboratively edited and published by the entire Chinese Department faculty, will more comprehensively and systematically reflect SSIS’s Chinese cultural education.
- Additionally, to meet the needs of G1 Chinese teaching, the “Pinyin Castle” textbook has been curated and compiled.
- For K1 to G2, levelled reading books were bought and implemented. By employing strategies like guided reading and group reading, students are encouraged to participate independently.
- An e-Level Chinese online platform has been prepared for G1-G8 basic Chinese classes to help students find suitable reading materials, enhancing their learning interests and reading comprehension abilities.
- 为G1-G8 基础中文班级的学生准备了 e-Level Chinese中文阅读在线平台。帮助学生找到适合的阅读材料，提升他们学习兴趣及阅读理解能力。
- The third Global Chinese Writing Competition for Young Writers has been launched, and we will continue to encourage students to participate in this competition.
- Moreover, the Shanghai Education Commission’s competition on Chinese Culture in Foreign Children’s Schools will take place this academic year. After screening, the works of 17 students from grades K-12 will represent the school in this competition. Since the launch of this activity by the Shanghai Education Commission, our school has consistently achieved excellent results in the competition. We believe that the students will once again achieve outstanding results.
Student Services 学生服务
Individualised Student Learning Goals and Services: Student Services Team has been actively engaged in developing and implementing individualised student learning goals and services across all divisions. By working collaboratively with teachers and parents, we have tailored our approach to meet the unique needs of each student. This collaborative effort ensures that our students receive the support they require to thrive academically and personally.
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Initiatives: In Term 1, the Student Services Team has been instrumental in promoting Social Emotional Learning (SEL) through various initiatives. Primary Pastoral Care (PC) lessons have provided opportunities for students to develop crucial social and emotional skills. These initiatives aim to enhance students’ well-being and resilience, preparing them for the challenges they may face both in and outside the classroom.
Our Swim Programme remains active as well. We successfully hosted the SSL Round One Meet and recently participated with a large squad in the SSL Round Two Meet in Suzhou. In between the SSL Rounds, we also took part in two swim meets. Our swimmers are active and continue to improve, achieving notable results.
Currently, our CISSA football teams are in the midst of a very busy football season, with numerous home and away fixtures. Both our boys’ and girls’ teams are consistently learning and developing, and they are eagerly prepared to represent SSIS in CISSA’s season-ending tournament on December 9th.
We are now up and running with CISSA badminton. We have received a high level of interest, and the coaches and I are eager to work on enhancing our players’ skills to prepare them for upcoming events.
Mr David Shirley (Head of School & Primary School Principal)
Mr Tony Rampton (Primary School Assistant Principal)
Read more! 了解更多！(Click on the links below)